Portugal is one of the world’s oldest nation-states with rich culture and a fascinating history that dates back to the 13th century. The University of Coimbra, founded in 1290, was one of Europe’s first universities. Five of Portugal’s universities are ranked within the top 700 in the 2014–15 QS World University Rankings. Portugal follows a practice-oriented teaching, which encourages personal development and versatile researches that transforms students in to highly employable professionals Portugal with its amazing weather, stunning landscapes and beautiful beaches combined with lip smacking delicacies and spirits will certainly make you fall in love with this country.
- Capital: Lisbon
- Official language: Portuguese
- Government: constitutional republic
- Area: 35,603 square miles/ 92,212 square kilometers
- Population: 10.7 million
- Currency: Euro
- Calling code: +351
- Major industries: Fishing, oil refinery, petrochemicals, cement, machinery, automotive and shipbuilding, electronics, plastics and ceramics, textile, leather industries, food and beverage industries.
WHY STUDY IN Portugal
- Portuguese universities have existed since 1290, the oldest being the University of Coimbra
- Five of Portugal’s universities are ranked within the top 700 in the 2014–15 QS World University Rankings
- Highly Competitive fee structure
- One of the cheapest in terms of living cost in whole of western Europe
- Offers a genuine European Experience
- The Way to Learn Portuguese
- Experience Hospitality of Highest class
- Great Climate and Breathtaking Landscapes
- A combination of Old and New World Charm
HIGHER EDUCATION SYSTEM IN PORTUGAL
Portuguese higher education system is split into polytechnics and universities, both public and private. Universities in are generally focused on theory and research, and offer courses in areas such as medicine, law and economics. Polytechnics are more focused on practical and vocational courses in areas such as engineering, teaching and nursing. Some of these are offered by both universities. Currently there are 14 public universities in Portugal. In addition to that there are 15 public polytechnic institutes and a large number of private institutes of higher education
- Doctoral degrees
- Vocational Certifications
- Colleges and universities have specific language requirements for admission, though these generally vary significantly from one course to another
- English proficiency requirement - A score of 5.5-6.5 in the IELTS test.
COST OF STUDY
- For bachelor’s and masters programs an average tuition fee of approximately EUR 950 - 1250 per academic year is charged.
- For (PhD Programs), the average tuition fee amounts to approximately EUR 2500 - 3000 per academic year.
COST OF LIVING – APPROXIMATE
A budget of € 600 per month should cover basic expenses
*Cost of living varies depending on the accommodation taken and life style of the individual
WORK RIGHTS AND STAY BACK
- 20 hours per week
- 1 years stay back